Congratulations to the members of Springboro Volunteer Fire Department.
This group of Volunteers recently celebrated 75 years of service to the Springboro Community and surrounding Townships.
It was December 18, 1931 when a group of men met at the Town Hall and discussed the possibilities of creating a Fire Department.
Prior to this time, the Borough had to rely on volunteers forming a bucket brigade, the services of Albion Fire Department who aided the Community for a cost of $85. Per year plus a fee for each event, and a high pressure water system from the Sheldon Sanitarium located on Main Street. By 1932 a Charter was adopted and reciprocal agreements were established with Albion and Conneautville.
The first officers of this newly formed Department were: President, Kenneth G. Fuller; Vice President, Frank Brigdon; Treasurer, John Kramer; Secretary, J. Ford Hyde; Chief, Charles Van Slyke; Assistant Chief, Joe Kimmel; Captain, Brian Worden; First Lieutenant, Albert Van Slyke; Second Lieutenant, Maurice Hershelman.
The first piece of equipment was a Model T. Ford chemical truck owned by the Borough Council and obtained after the big fire of 1912, when the east business block was destroyed. A campaign was conducted to raise money to pay for a chassis and equipment for a truck. A Lincoln chassis was purchased, the truck was built by volunteer labor by Ed Acker, Joe Hoesch, Don Payne, John Foulk, Harry Stanley and others. By 1939 a movement was underway to purchase another truck and this was accomplished by 1942 when funds were available and a Ward La France fire truck was purchased.
In 1943, the Department voted to help pay for the training of a student nurse and this provided training for four nurses. Also during the war (W.W.II), a Civil Defense unit was organized and the younger firemen were trained to take over in case of an emergency.
A Ladies Auxiliary was formed in 1936 with officers: President Ella Gleason; Vice President, Anna Nelson; Treasurer, Bertha Wescott; Secretaries, Ellen Ray and Carrie Nichols Scott.
(Someone must have said "Behind every successful Fire Department, there is an active Ladies Auxiliary).
This 75th celebration was very successful with parade, crafters and vendors located at Mineral Springs, and dinner at the Fire Hall. They are looking good and you can watch for more changes as the Department moves into another Phase of emergency medical service.
This article is included in the CVAHS Newsletter, Issue 37, Vol. 19
1Source: Bicentennial fssue 1976