John C. Sturtevant, prominent citizen, Capitalist, President of three Banks, Legislator, Presidential elector, Delegate to several National and State conventions, supporter of the local M. E. Church, husband and parent.
Quite a list of accomplishments for a gentleman our generation never heard of.
John C. Sturtevant was born in Spring Township February 20th, 1835 in the general area of what we know as Shadeland. His father, Daniel Sturtevant, was born in Cincinnatus, Cortland Co. N.Y. and came to this place with his parents in 1820. He married Miss Susan Hall and raised five children: Ritner, John C., Seth, Emaline and Almira.
John C. Sturtevant, wife Sarah,
sons Watkin and Paul
(Young woman is. unknown)
John C. taught school for eight winters, served as Representative of Crawford Co. in the Legislature during 1865-1866. Moving to Conneautville in 1867, he engaged in the hardware business as a member of the firm, of Krick & Sturtevant. He retired from the business in 1873 and became cashier of the First National Bank of Conneautville. It was 1878 when he was named President of the Bank and continued in that position when
the Bank became the Bank of Conneautville. He was a stockholder of the Linesville Savings Bank and for several years, it's President. He was one of the organizers of Farmer's and Merchant's Bank at Hill City, Kansas, became it's President and maintained the position until his death.
Involved in the development of local Industries, he was Secretary Treasurer of the Saxton Chemical Co. of Conneautvflle along with Robert Wormald and the estate of John Wormald; the Springboro Tannery with Jacob Bolard, Elijah Montague and Robert Wormald; and a Conneautville flouring mill, Butt& Co.
Mr. Sturtevant gave up his involvement with these local Industries, devoting his time to the Banking business. He became involved with the Republican Party and was active in politics all his life. Elected in 1896, he served two terms as a member of Congress and was instrumental in obtaining the Civil War cannon now located at Lord-Mason Park in Conneautville. He was responsible for the erection of the handsome Soldiers Monument in Spring Cemetery , the first in Crawford County, by donating half the cost.
John C. married Miss Sarah A. Gleason daughter of W. B. Gleason of Conneautville in October 1871. They had three sons, Parke W., Paul J. and Watkin P. John C. died in December 1912 at the age of 77 years and is buried in the family plot at Conneautville Cemetery.