The first knowledge of this family is of George Foster born in Co. Fermaunagh, Ireland. This George was blessed with seven sons and three daughters.
Of these sons, one ws named George who married Mary Martin and lived near the town of Enniskillen. Their family consisted of four sons and two daughters. The sons were William, George F., Robert and John. The daughters were Isabel and Mary. When the youngest child, John was eighteen months old, both parents died of a fever. The oldest two William and Isabel came to America with their mother's brother and settled in Cumberland Co., Pennsylvania. Mary and Robert both died in Ireland.
b. April 1, 1832
Son of Robert F. Foster
George F. had purchased 400 acres from the Holland Land Co. of Philadelphia wich was located north of 800 acres owned by Alexander Power where a gristmill had been built and prospects of a village nearby. Settlers were advised to make their home one or two miles from a neighbor, due to the dangers of Indians still using the trails and hunting in the vicinity. Many have heard or read the story of how George and Jane traveled through the wilderness with only one horse and Jane carried a teakettle on the saddle horn containing their valuables and essentials. These would probably consist of seeds, needle & thread, soap, candles, knives, etc. Household goods were being transported by friends and family members in wagons. This also included a slab of stone to be used as a grave marker. Although there are very few details, one can imagine George was carrying a gun, and perhaps an ax was tied to his belt and definitely a knife.
It was in 1805 the Fosters lost a 4 year old son in the wilderness. As he was never found, it was believed he had been taken by Indians. by 1806, the Fosters may have been the only residents for many miles. Settlers were leaving due to problems with their land deeds as well as Indians. It may have bee about this time George and Jane moved to a new cablin closer to neighbors and a small running stream and cool springs.
By the year 1816 Immigrants commenced coming from New York State, woods were cleared, roads were constructed and school houses were being built. To accommodate the numerous Presbyterians, George donated some of his acreage to this religious order for a small structure to be used for a meeting house with a graveyard nearby. Although the simple cabin is long gone, the graveyard known today as the Foster Cemetery remains where Jane Granlee Foster, her son James Foster and George's brother John and wife Mary Simison, their son Robert and Mary's sister Rebecca Simison are buried.
Across the highway and over Conneaut Creek a dirt roadway can take you to another section of Foster's land. One can only wonder what kind of farming took place on this up and down terrain. Heading sought on a paved highway, you will notice another deep ravine with a winding stream that flows into Meyler Run at Mulberry St. This stream is called Foster Run and can be a dry bed, or a wild racing one depending on the weather. It was a Foster who had a slaughter house near this stream and from time to time, water ran red.
This article is included in the CVAHS Newsletter, Issue 44, Vol. 22
Source: Crawford Co. History,
Files of Pat Vedner, Sec.