Located north of the business district on Rt. 18 in the Borough of Conneautville, Pa. James Power, son of Alexander Power, the founder of Conneautville, donated land for a burial ground in 1835. It was plotted in 1836 with the first burial of three year old William Foster, son of George and Margaret Power Foster (Section A). The cemetery was enlarged in 1864 and again in 1887 with land purchased from James Power. The Borough Council was in control of selling lots and digging graves and received all proceeds until 1932. It has been said that when the Borough was handling the lot/burial records, some of these records were lost in a fire.
On August 26, 1909, about 15 citizens met in the Stone Memorial Library to discuss the formation of a Cemetery Assoc. with John C. Sturtevant presiding. A committee was appointed to arrange with the Borough authorities, the transfer of the cemetery to an Association. On December 3, 1909, there was a reading of the constitution and by-laws, with a very animated discussion by Messrs. Sturtevant, W. A. Rupert, Robert F. Wilcox, and F. M. Hall. The principal difficulty being there was no way to provide for having lots cared for after relatives and friends were gone. The purpose of forming the Association under a perpetual charter and bound by the laws of the State, was to guarantee that every lot entrusted to it's perpetual care would never be neglected. "The plan is to have the persons most interested in each lot provide through the Association for having that lot taken care of. It is hoped that every lot may be provided for in this way so that our dead may rest in a respectable cemetery without the reproach of a single neglected lot in it". After the first and second sections of the constitution were adopted, the officers elected were: President: Robert F. Wilcox; Managers: Ira Feterman, W. P. Frazier; Richard Bolard, J. C. Sturtevant, Francis M. Hewit, H. W. Powers. Secretary-Treasurer: Eugene C. McKay. Other names of the Incorporation were: Mrs. Sarah Mantor, Mrs. Almira Krick, John W. Crider, Wilson P. Frazier, Mrs. Louise Davis, Hervey White, Archibald B. Greenfield, Mrs. Ann Robinson and Mrs. Mary Robinson.
Anyone could become a member of the Association upon payment of $5.00 by lot owners or relatives. This would entitle them to vote at all regular or special meetings and be eligible to be elected to an office in the organization. The by-laws were adopted May 10, 1910 and in June, due to the objection of some citizens and lot owners, the association refused to accept the cemetery under the proposed ordinance from the Borough council.
On May 12, 1912, a notice was run in the Conneautville Courier indicating the Cemetery Assoc. was prepared to furnish perpetual care for $40.00 a lot, annual care of 1/2 lot for $1.25. A ladies auxiliary was formed in connection with the Assoc. to assist in beautifying the cemetery, etc.
In May, 1913, again a committee was formed to interview the current Borough Council as to their feeling in reference to turning the control of the cemetery to the Assoc. The Council members were all favorable with the exception of Clyde Wood, who thought a vote of the people was necessary to determine this matter and Dr. Townley, who would not express his opinion.
On April 11, 1914, the Assoc. petitioned by request of lot owners, that the council transfer the cemetery to the Assoc. by act of assembly. At the May 1, 1914 meeting, it was decided that the petition be withdrawn and that a communication be addressed to the Borough Council giving their reasons for so doing. First, that the transfer was not for any personal or Assoc. benefit. Second, that efforts for the control and management, etc. of the cemetery seemed to have been misunderstood. Third, the Assoc. would be undertaking a heavy burden which could only be overcome by, and with the hearty cooperation and assistance of a large percent of the lot owners in this matter.
In May 1918, the tool house was divided so the Assoc. and Town could have separate rooms to keep their tools. The secretary was to tell all lot owners in arrears the care of their lots would be discontinued.
In April 1923, all perpetual lot owners were made members of the Assoc.
In 1932 a Borough employee was digging graves, and an Assoc. employee was taking care of certain lots. No one was taking care of the cemetery. Again the Assoc. met with the Borough Council indicating that money could be saved by putting their money together. At a special meeting on April 19,1932, there was an agreement that the council would turn over all income of the cemetery, digging graves, selling lots, and debts due from one year to the Assoc. The Cemetery Assoc. was to hire a man to do everything and spend the rest of his time to improve the appearance of the cemetery. The Borough was to maintain the driveways and supply water to the cemetery. Wire containers were added to the cemetery in 1932 to collect trash and are still in use today.
Over the years, there have been many problems, like the Conneautville Bank failure in the 1930's and family members no longer living here, failing to pay for the care of lots. Maintenance of the cemetery has been a struggle and continues to be one. The Assoc. was also involved in mowing some perpetual care lots in the Catholic cemetery (1912) for a number of years, but this has been discontinued. The current tool house was erected in 1955 by the American Legion Post 615. The Legion conducts a service every Memorial Day at the monument erected by the G.A.R., dedicated to "The Unknown Soldiers" paying tribute to these heroes. In 1898 at the request of the G.A.R., Borough officials deeded a lot in the cemetery to Captain M. L. Stone, Post 374. In 1900 on Memorial Day, it was dedicated to the memory of American War Veterans.
The current Cemetery Assoc. sees to it that the cemetery is maintained with much volunteer work on their part and civic organizations. The maintenance of the cemetery is financed by donations, investments and selling of lots.
An index of the burials in this cemetery can be found at the Conneaut Valley Area Historical Soc. website, http://cvahs.org.