This Gothic style frame Church was located on the northwest corner of North and Main Streets in Springboro. Built in 1880 to replace an earlier structure built in 1853 which had burned May 31, 1880. The members immediately commenced the new structure with the corner stone being laid on August 26, 1880 and dedicated, September 1882. This new structure was 36'x 55' with a chapel 20' x 32' located at the rear of the building. Services were held here until 1929.
The first Baptist Church of Springboro was organized May 25, 1833 by Rev. O. L. Dunfee of North Shenango with the following members: Nathaniel Pond, Henry Wait, John Gillett, Lila Woodard, Silas Cooper, Hiram Sheldon, Mary Pond, Polly Wait, Tryphosia Conover, Sybil Woodard, Polly Gleason, Mary Cutler, Ruth Gillett, Jarusha Mann, and Sylvia Hammon.
Early services were held in the old hotel and schoolhouse east of town until 1853 when their first Church was built.
Nathaniel Pond was the first Deacon, Silas Cooper, the first clerk, and Elder Adrian Foote of Meadville preached occasionally for a few months. Rev. Levi Fuller was secured as pastor preaching every other Sunday for $75.00 per year.
The following pastors and dates of their service were: Rev. Keith, January 1836; Benjamin Oviatt, December, 1836; Elder Cody, 1842; William Walden, 1845; Elder Dodge, 1848; J. J. Fuller, 1851; D. Beacher, 1853; Elisha Nye, 1857; B. C. Hendricks, 1860; P. Griffis, 1862; Wenham Kidder, 1863; M. Barnes, 1865; G. W. Snyder, 1869; C. H. Harvey, 1873; E. C. Farley, 1877; R. Pearse, 1879.
A document dated February 7, 1905 is in our files and available for research: "We the undersigned promise to pay for the salary of Reverend Brown for the year 1905 the sum set opposite our names and pay monthly",
J. H. Brown, Mary Brown, Harry Brown, E. A. Graves, Eugene Sheldon, J. W. Hotchkiss, Mrs. R. C. Head, Lulu Head, Dr. W. J. Sheldon, J. H. Sheldon, E. A. Sheldon, Amasa Sheldon, J. R. Hilles, Will Eddy, Arline Eddy, Gid Leaphart, Manly Quimby, Mrs. Wilber, W. R. Potter, Mattie Newton, Mr. Newton, (?)Head, Fred Hamilton, T. J. Shelden, J. C. Oakes, T. J. Gleason, Carl Welles, Mr. & Mrs. Ed. B. West, Jake Clinger, William Hardman, Fenton Sheldon, Inez Hunt, Ray Woodworth, Will Sheppa, Frank Sheppa, Homer Nichols, Jay Sheldon, Mrs. Guiliford, Mrs. Banister, Caroll Sheldon, Mrs. Haty Dunn, Otis Quinby, Mrs. Norley, W. B. Sheldon, Miron Alin, Mrs. Stuart, Jay Newton, and a friend.
The total pledged for Rev. Brown's services was $377.65 for the year.
What happened to this Church? Can anyone pick up the history after 1929. We would like your help.
This article is included in the CVAHS Newsletter, Issue 33, Vol. 17
1Source: Crawford County History, 1880
Springboro Centennial Edition Plus 10 by Faith Scott